Millom and Wigton Footbridge
The work was delivered on behalf of Network Rail, as part of the Great North Rail Project, to ensure that the footbridges remain safe and reliable for passengers at Millom and Wigton for decades to come.
At 150 years old, the structures have suffered significant wear and tear, therefore Taziker Industrial proposed at Tender Stage to lift the main spans off and bring them to the new facility in Heywood to restore the bridges before sending them for painting to our Supply Chain Partner NL Williams. The stairs were refurbished in situ by Taziker Industrial’s inhouse coatings department.
Through Taziker Industrial’s in-house steelwork capabilities at our new Heywood depot, we were able to keep costs down to a minimum and maximise efficiencies.
By lifting off the main spans Taziker Industrial were able to minimise the possessions required to complete the works thus reducing costs
- The operational railway remained unaffected by the works and the platforms remained fully operational
- The scaffold was encapsulated to minimise the public interface and thus minimising risk of injury
- The works were completed with no minor or major incidents
Exceeding our Customers’ Expectations
Melinda Sallaway, Scheme Project Manager at Network Rail, said “Together with Taziker, we have managed to deliver fantastic footbridges that will last for many years.”
Mar 2019 - Sep 2019
The scope of the works included:
- Erect scaffold around the two footbridges
- Carry out pre-lift preparation works
- Lift 2no main spans and transport to Heywood
- Mechanically prepare and paint the two pairs of stairs in situ
- Inspect the 2no spans for conditional led repairs, schedule proposed repair types and agree with Client
- Complete the steelwork refurbishment as per the agreed schedules
- Transport 2no main spans to Supply Chain Partner NL Williams for painting
- Install new anti-slip flooring including a new GRP deck for Millom
- Lift 2no main spans back onto the refurbished stairs
- Remove scaffold and re-open to public following final inspection with Client