Blackpool North Canopy
As the main station serving the famous seaside resort, Blackpool North has regular services to Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Preston, Blackburn, Leeds and York.
Improvements were required as the existing canopy suffered from widespread corrosion to the steel columns and sectional loss to the corrugated roof coverings. This resulted in water ingress onto the platform surfaces presenting a safety risk. Due to the rust, corrosion and damage the canopies were also considered an eyesore.
It was deemed the life expectancy of the canopy had expired.
Repairs and maintenance would have been costly, so the canopies were fully replaced.
Taziker worked closely with Pascoe Consulting and Network Rail at the design stage and the steel work fabrication was managed at Taziker’s Heywood facility.
In order for the work to be completed on site over the Christmas period, the steel structure fabrication was completed for 20th December. With a 54 hour blockade in place, work started on Christmas Day and possession was handed back on the 27th December.
During the work, Taziker had a land agreement in place to site the 500-tonne crane and the new canopies, as well as a dismantling area.
The design, approvals, in-house fabrication, installation of foundations, removal and replacement of the existing 80m long canopy took place over a period of just 13 weeks.
During the project, Taziker laid 50m² of structural concrete, installed 80 tonnes of steelwork, fixed 700m² of roof sheeting and disposed of 70 tonnes of scrap steelwork. At some points during the works, Taziker were 14 hours ahead of programme, due to switching work to complement the forecasted weather conditions.
Taziker have demonstrated that they can deliver a complex steelwork project on time and to Network Rail’s engineering standards, with the new canopies successfully now in position at Blackpool North station.
Dec 2019 - Dec 2019
The scope of the works included:
- Temporary works platform hoarding
- Temporary works crane bearing pad
- Use of 3D Cloud Point to enable clash mitigation with OLE
- Temporary Works Jigs to build new canopy cassettes prior to possession
- Platform works – Installation of new reinforced concrete canopy foundations
- Disconnection and removal of existing containment, lights, PA, from the canopy
- Dismantling of the existing canopy structure and removal from site
- Lay new drainage to pick up rainwater pipes
- Erection of new canopy members
- Installation of new roof cladding
- Connection of new containment, lights and PA
- Reinstatement of ACO slot drain where removed to construct new foundations
- Tarmac re-instatement to areas removed on platform 3 & 4